Monday, June 29, 2009

Some thoughts

Each week I get an e-mail from TIME listing their top ten stories of the week. This is one of my favorite e-mails of the week. Today, 4 of the top 6 and 6 of the top 10 stories were all about Michael Jackson. I didn't read any of them. These are what captured my eyes instead.Kids in a Palestinian refugee camp playing with toy guns. The littlest boy doesn't look like he's having much fun. This laborer on break in China looks super relaxed. Really, he does. That's why it's so overwhelming.Our troops in Afghanistan. They're not watching a sunset.

I know I'm not a historian on the Middle East and our presence there; I did write a piece for the Statesman about our history with Afghanistan before the war even begun . . . and I was fascinated to say the least. My piece was never published, I don't believe I could remove myself from the article. Instead the editor took some of my research and used it in his own article. I love our soldiers, and I more than admire them for giving of themselves. I hope that American politicians have changed and can actually make good on the promises we make to our brothers and sisters in grim lands.

These all came from pictures of the week not actual stories. But as the saying goes, pictures speak a thousand words.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...