Sunday, January 24, 2010

This isn't a tag, it's a challenge, so do it! Brag Post

I challenge EVERYONE to create a brag post. Not a "my husband is the best and my kids are perfect" post. But a post in which you just take a minute to brag about your very OWN talents and accomplishments. I think I try so hard not to look conceited (cause, trust me, I'm not . . . I'm totally an average ace), so all my posts have this ring of downerism in them. And I'm sick of it. So I'm going to write about things others think I'm a step above average-ace at. And seriously, I challenge everyone else to do so. We need to learn to love ourselves, this is a step.

Brag 1: This summer my father made a strange comment to his old mission companion about me while they were all out visiting the area. Big Guy said "She's doing all the things I didn't dare do when I was her age. I'm just so proud of her for being so brave." I never really think of moving to DC and teaching in the ghetto as "brave," but Big Guy is right, it really is quiet intrepid. It's something the childhood version of myself would be very proud of. I always wanted to grow up and move far away. I usually look at it as a weakness, as so many others seem to aspire to stay closer to their family. And I wonder what's wrong with me? But I need to see this experience as it is, I had a dream to teach inner city, and I found a way to make it happen.



Brag 2: This one is a bit silly, even to me. But it still made me feel good about myself. This weekend at Church ball, I walked into the gym and this girl, who looks vaguely familiar from past seasons, spots me and turns to a player on my team and asks "She's on your team too?" Karen (who is the star of the league, retired college player) gets this huge smile and says "Yeah." The girl just goes "wow, you guys are . . . " I couldn't tell what she said exactly, but I know it was something good. Then, at the end of the game, a girl I've been playing with for the last couple of years says " Once you showed up we knew we couldn't win." I laughed and said "thanks, but I doubt that was the case." She reassured me, "No, when you weren't here at 3:00 we thought we'd only have to worry about Karen and we'd have a chance, but once you showed up we knew it was done." And I do recall, on about my third sink from outside, someone from their bench shouted "Don't leave her open." I've been playing for three years now, and I've never seen myself as a threat to any team. Seriously, a lot of these girls played in college and they are WAY better than I am. So it made me feel good to think they actually think I compete at their level.

Brag #3: My personal favorite; every year I have some kid I don't even know ask me why I'm the coolest teacher and why I couldn't have been their teacher. Whenever my students tell me I'm their favorite teacher I shout "I don't care how much you like me! I only care about how much you learn!" I truly mean that, but it's still nice to know that at every school I've ever been at, I'm a favorite.

Alright, so post about 3 of your brags. They cannot be about your family, just your deep to the core individual talents (sure, they can be cooking or other home things, but they need to be things you really feel awesome about). And if you can't think of any, then make a post asking others to tell you what you excel at. That's what they told us to do today at Church.

So do it!

3 comments:

Polly Blevins said...

I like this post alot. Also, you are a fun person to read on the blog. Some people I read because I am close to and extremely interested in their lives, others, I just enjoy. You are one I enjoy. Don't take that wrong though because I really do hope you are happy and everything.

hannah said...

What a neat thing for your dad to say about you. I admire you for having a dream and making it a reality (cliche, I know). Also, I just had to laugh at the picture of you making a snow angel on your patio. So funny. :)

Unknown said...

I really like this post too. I think you are awesome!!!! You definitley have more then 3 things to brag about but these are all awesome! Just don't go sticking your foot through a wall at any church games :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...