Friday, January 22, 2010

A Pessimist

I hate to think of myself as a pessimist. But I will confess, I HATE when people say "things will work out." I nearly yelled at my poor mother dear at least half a dozen times in 2009 for saying this to me in regards to so many different bumps in my road.

So mother dear, listen closely. You were right. Today, during 3rd period I looked out at my sweet darlings and thought to myself "I don't miss Dunbar one little bit." I couldn't even believe that I had been willing to stay there, and that they had turned me away . . . what a joke! I know that on paper I don't look like the best teacher in the world, but I am quite awesome. :) And I should have known that everything would work out. And not just work out, but work out SOOOOO much better than I could have ever planned for myself.

I could move to NW, DC and spend the rest of my life as a member of this sweet little community. And you would never hear me complain, as a parent or teacher, that the kids from SE and NE get to come to this school. Not that I hear those complaints from people here at Deal, but I know some educational philosophers think this method of busing kids in is damning to the system.

But that tangent isn't my point. I just hate (but love) that I have to admit things worked out to be so absolutely wonderful. I was especially aware of this when I got on g-chat and read an old colleagues status, "nothing says 'friday' like 4 fire trucks in response to a bulletien board set ablaze." I wouldn't trade those "fridays" in for anything, but I'm so grateful to have them behind me.

Please note, this does not give anyone permission to tell me other "things will work out." I prefer "you'll survive." Thank you in advance for addressing all conflicts in my life as such.

2 comments:

Claudia said...

Some of the most hopeful, encouraging, and optimistic words ever spoken have been the prophetic utterances of God’s living prophets and apostles. They truly can dispel our discouragement.

“We have every reason to be optimistic in this world,” President Gordon B. Hinckley has said. “Tragedy is around, yes. Problems everywhere, yes. But look at Nauvoo. Look at what they built here in seven years and then left. But what did they do? Did they lie down and die? No! They went to work! They moved halfway across this continent and turned the soil of a desert and made it blossom as the rose. On that foundation this church has grown into a great worldwide organization affecting for good the lives of people in more than 140 nations. You can’t, you don’t, build out of pessimism or cynicism. You look with optimism, work with faith, and things happen” (quoted in Jeffrey R. Holland, “President Gordon B. Hinckley: Stalwart and Brave He Stands,” Ensign, June 1995, 4).

“ ‘Things will work out’ may well be President Hinckley’s most repeated assurance to family, friends, and associates,” noted Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. “ ‘Keep trying,’ he will say. ‘Be believing. Be happy. Don’t get discouraged. Things will work out’ ” (Ensign, June 1995, 4).

Hey sis, don't you just love this quote from our beloved President Gordon B. Hinckley? I do, I really, really do. Now that I am teaching myself to do counted cross stitch maybe I will do this quote for you and you can hang it above your bathroom room mirror! I am very happy to hear that things did work out for you and that you are so happy in your new position. I love you to the moon and back. XOXOXO Mom

Claudia said...

As a wise man (your grandpa B) once said, "This too shall pass!" Indeed, you WILL survive.
Love, Pa
P.S. I loved your post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...