Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Back to School Speech

In more stalkingmystudentsonfacebook news, this year marks Obama's third annual back to school speech.  I couldn't have missed it if I had tried.  One of my former middle school students currently attending Banneker High School (DC Public School's collegiate high) has been posting about it for days.  Last night she went and got her hair done, just for the President's special arrival at her school.

This event reminds me of how furious some state educators were when Obama made his first back to school broadcast.  If you remember, several school districts across the country ban the viewing.  Some parents kept their kids home.  If that isn't partisanship at its finest ... !  I actually think this whole stint bothers me more now, three years later, than it did back then.

I recently read an article about how Americans are becoming much more "nationalist" in their attire and lifestyle.  If this is so (and it seems to be so) why would you work so hard to ensure your child does NOT hear the President of the United States of America telling kids to do their homework and stay away from drugs.  How can you wave the flag of patriotism while showing such partisan-disrespect for our highest democratically elected official?

My head just gets dizzy when I try to understand some of my country men's logic.

In the end, I'm just happy for my former boss, Ms Hilton, and former students, Antonia and Annaise, for being able to meet the President today.  

2 comments:

Polly Blevins said...

I agree. I think it is an honor to meet the President. I don't care for our President's politics but I would still go watch one of his speeches if he ever comes to Chattanooga.

Unknown said...

Yeah when I worked at USAID where most people are dems no one wanted to see Pres Bush when he came to thank them. Since I was very low level I didn't think I was invited and I've been kicking myself ever since for not going. I did go see Mrs. Bush and Hillary Clinton when they came. It's not the politics but the office. I thought it was cool to shake Sec Clinton's hand even though we don't see eye to eye on politics.

Elder Oaks gave a talk to BYU students I heard on the Mormon Channel that said bc people don't read the news but watch on tv they have less respect for public officials and there cud be trouble if citizens don't respect lawmakers bc then they don't respect the laws.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...