Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Part I in a series of God

I'm going to be blunt.

I'm disgusted saddened by the amount of so called Christians who always point their finger at the "sins" of our nation as an explanation for calamity.

Let me draw a comparison that may still be fresh in our minds. Senate hopeful Richard Mourdock said on public TV, "I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen."

Does he have a point? Yes, he does. But did saying such win him any fans? No, in fact if you look at polling in Indiana's Senate race, it actually lost him fans -- several thousand Gob believing fans.

Is the cycle of the Book of Mormon real? Yes, it is. When a people are righteous they are blessed, when they turn away from God they are not as blessed.

But does the logic of the Westboro Baptist Church win them any fans? No, it does not.

Telling people that forcing all children to participate in Bible readings and group prayers is the only way God will stop letting our children get hurt at school is doing God fearing US citizens no favors.

Not only that, but the cry that God has left our public schools because we forced Him out is not at all in line with Gospel Doctrine. Even during the years of the Great Apostasy, when God's direct communication with the Children of Men (through Prophets) was cut off from the from the face of the Earth, He didn't stop watching over His children.

As I was cuddling Nell and thinking about all the ways I saw God in our public schools (perhaps part II in the series), a friend posted something profound, and I'd like to share it here:

Let me get this straight:
God was with Daniel in the lion's den
God was with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego as they burned
God was with Ammon as he preached the gospel 
God was with Joseph Smith as he staved and froze in liberty jail
God was with the saints as they crossed the plains 
God is with me in my daily life

But this same God, who is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, and all loving, is currently ignoring the prayers of the righteous because of a 1962 Supreme Court decision?

Got it!

I, like this friend, am completely fed up with people who just want to repeat political ideologue rather than taking the time to meaningfully think about the character of our loving Father in Heaven. So now that I have that off my chest, I can be a little more loving and positive in part II and III.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well spoken Sis.
Love, Pa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...