Sunday, May 4, 2014

Family Time

Early this morning I drove down to Illinois for some extended family time. Ben and the kids were already down there. Yes, I had the last two nights to myself. Oh the beauty of restful sleep!

It was baby Parker's blessing, and we couldn't pass up the opportunity to spend some time with Grandparents and cousins. I've said it before, but Reid sure loves his cousins. I can't really blame him -- they are pretty cute and super good to play with him.

Reid's sunbeam teacher in the Beloit Ward brought him to his Aunt, telling her we needed to change his diaper. "Isn't he potty trained?" she asked when she found me. "Yes, yes he is. But boy can he toot!" That marks the fourth time someone at Church has thought Reid did his business when really, he just farted. I just laughed about it, and fanned out his drawers.

This afternoon/evening we had a BBQ and the kids played and played in the yard. It's hard to believe summer might actually happen. It seems so unreal. What. a. winter.

The kids are always sad to leave Grandma and Grandpa's and Reid had to be reassured we'd come back someday. Even though we wait until their bedtime to leave, neither of them ever fall asleep until we are almost home. I blame the light -- we did not have that problem in the winter. They are such good travelers though. They just look out their windows and observe. When Nell starts to get restless we calm her with nursery rhymes and primary songs. Reid even told us when he needed to potty and we pulled over at the nearest gas station. He told us he needed to potty by saying "Mommy, I pooped" which had me outraged, but luckily he just meant "I need to poop." I didn't realize that until we were in the stall though -- poor kid was reprimanded for nothing!

Anyway, this ended up being less about family and more about poop than I expected. Sorry. Suffice it to say I was not at all worn out by the back and forth of one day. Spending quality time with the family is worth it.

PS. Since I don't want to forget. Apparently last night Reid and Nell were quite the entertainment at the home of a friend of the family. They went over for a hot dog roast and were wrestling in the backyard when Nell shoved Reid's face right into a pile of dirt. He came up spitting out sand and laughing. Wish I could have seen it, but who am I kidding ... I was enjoying some yummy meatloaf while watching new (to me) episodes of Bones. It's hard to choose where I would have rather been. This weekend was the best of both worlds, time alone to recharge + a day with extended family = perfect combination. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

!!! Pa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...