Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Not a Baby Anymore!

When Coraline turned one on Sunday I kept telling Ben she wasn't a baby anymore. I may have said this in a really remorseful tone. Like, "I don't have a baby anymore."

I don't know, there's just something about that ONE year mark that makes me feel like we're over all the baby stuff. Even if there's really no huge developmental change from one day to the next.

I mean, she's still adorable when she sleeps.


She still immediately tries to remove any shoes or socks we put on her feet. 


She still loves to pull to a stand, and she still loves to give us a little "heads up" smile before she does something mischievous.


So she's still my same little Lou. But now, she's one. She is one year old. She drinks cow's milk. She fills up her size 18 month clothes. She has opinions about what she wants and how she wants it, and she knows how to communicate those opinions to me. She's constantly experimenting with her tones and fluctuations. 

She's still totally bald. Ben and I often comment that her empty scalp keeps her looking like a baby. Her night time wake up routine does as well. For weeks I have not been able to put my finger on what is causing her to wake at night. A few times I wondered if she had an ear ache, but I figured she'd get a fever. And she never did. But, on Friday night I just knew it. I knew she had an ear ache. And sure enough, it was confirmed at her check up yesterday. So here's to full night sleeps just a few days ahead (hopefully). 

In a lot of ways (the interrupted sleep) she has been our most difficult baby, but her overall demeanor is just so pleasant and joyful that we really hardly notice. I am excited to watch her personality take form in these next couple of years. Earlier today I heard a giggle like non-other. I knew it wasn't Nell's laugh, but I just could not believe it was coming from my baby toddler. It was so full grown, and it was definitely hers. 


Her birthday was pretty simple. Pretty much any time I talked to someone at Church I said "It's Coraline's birthday!" I even shared some of her birthday brownies with my 8-year-old Sunday School kids. That evening we skyped with my mom and dad as she dug into her own piece. It was fun to let them be a part of our celebration, even if we were 1,000+ miles apart. Plus, it was also my Dad's birthday, so I'm glad the two Dec 20th buddies were able to smile and coo at each other. 

pictures from Ben's phone. 

After that we cleaned her up and let her play with her birthday bow for a good ten minutes before letting Reid and Nell tear into her present and play with her new toy. 



I made sure we had birthday specific wrapping paper. I hope she doesn't grow up resenting her Christmas time birthday. I always want to make this day special for her.

Monday afternoon we went for her check up and confirmed her top tier growth.

Height: 31.5 inches, 99%
Weight: 24.4 lbs, 95%
Head: 18.7 inches, 97%

I can't wait to see what this next year with Coraline brings. We love our Lou and all the sunshine she adds to our home.



*a couple selfies taken on her last day as a baby (Dec 19)

1 comment:

Pa said...

Beautiful Bald Girl!!! I love my Coralu! Thanks for the post. She IS growing, indeed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...