Thursday, September 8, 2016

Recipe of the Week: Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bars

As with many of our favorite breakfast recipes, I found this one in the land of pinterest and always double it when I make it. It's such a pain to do the double math everytime I make it, so I want to put it here on my own blog for safe keeping.


The recipe originally appeared on a site called Gingerbread Bagels, but when that blog disappeared I found it on Cooking to Perfection (who had copied it from GB). Like I said, we double this every time, and it is always gone within 24 hours. We enjoy it for breakfast, then again at snacktime, and if there is any left -- we have it again for breakfast the next day.

And here is a little confession. I don't actually love this meal. It's my husband and kids who eat it all. I eat the corners, but that's really it. It's a little too ... mushy? .... wet? ... for my liking. I made it once while my parents were here and they weren't big fans either, so maybe it's just a weird texture thing I inherited from my parents. Now, how's that for a selling point? Ha!

But really, my kids and hubby gobble this up, so it's worth a try. And I do love the inch around the corners and edges of the pan.

PB Banana Oatmeal Bars
3 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup peanut butter
Optional: 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (we've also used milk chocolate and even M&Ms. 

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside. 

Combine oats, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a medium to large mixing bowl. Stir until combined. Add milk, egg, vanilla, banana, and peanut butter and mix just until incorporated. If using, fold in chocolate. 

Bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature. Store leftovers in airtight container for up to 36 hours. 


A little Nutella on top for our after school snack.

1 comment:

Grandpa B said...

Love my nutella girl!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...