Friday, November 3, 2017

Birthday Hoopla

Let's talk Birtdhays. Not mine and Mara's, which are coming up in just a few days. No, let's talk about Reid and Nell's, which happened weeks and even months ago. Yikes! I'm slow.

Nell's Party
The new Lego Ninjago movie came out the week of Nell's birthday, so we decided that was a fitting party for this spunky little ninjago loving girl. I told her she could invite two of her closest friends, and without any hesitation she shouted "Evie and Dougie!" I figured Evie's mom and brother would like to join us (and I wanted to invite them to join us) so that opened up one more seat in our minivan. When I told Nell she could invite a third friend she thought about it for a second and then said "I would like to let Reid bring a friend." I tried to explain that it was her party and it should be her frie -- but she cut me off and put me in my place.

"Mommy, it's my birthday party and I get to decide. I want Reid to pick a friend." She's such a kind and determined little girl! I figured having Dougie and Oliver along was Reid bringing his own friends, so we just left things how they were.




We went on Tuesday ($5 day cause I'm cheap). Dougie rode the bus home with Reid and Nell. And man I tell you, there was a lot of excitement coming off that bus! My babsitter plans (for Mara) fell through due to illness. So we scrambled across town to drop Mara off with a friend. I'm so thankful Kalie was able to watch her such short notice. Gees it's good to know amazingly kind people. 

Once we arrived at the theater I ordered a couple of pizzas and we watched for Evie and Oliver to arrive. Nell opened an exciting present -- a Barbie vet clinic -- from Evie and then we all headed into the theater. About 20 minutes in I snuck out to purchase some kid snack trays for our crew. They were all in heaven (except Dougie, he was a little under the weather). It was so fun to treat Nell to such a special little outing with all her favorite people.  

Nell's Big Day

Her actual birthday was the next day, and oh boy I am going to treasure that photo forever! She had so much energy and excitement over the whole ordeal. Birthdays are really fun once kids start to catch on to how special they really are. 

She actually passed out on the couch while I was frosting her panda cupcakes. Honest to goodness I think she would have slept the whole night through, but we had to wake up the birthday girl if we were going to celebrate!



At this point I can't remember what we had for her birthday dinner. She requested crepes, but I couldn't make them because I thought Ben had eaten all the cottage cheese (yes, I put cottage cheese in my crepe recipe -- it's delish so don't knock it till you've tried it). Little did I know, I had two whole containers hidden in the back of the fridge somewhere. 

I do remember her excitement as she opened her presents. I really don't think she was expecting any. We'd made it pretty clear that the movie outing was her present from mom and dad. But earlier that day a package of goodies from Grandma and Grandpa Szilagyi arrived in the mail. Plus, Reid and Coraline gave her a Moana bath toy. 

photo taken the next day
The dress, necklace and hairpin all came from Grandma and Grandpa. They also sent her some beading jewelry. We tore that open and all three big kids made a nice necklace for themselves. The whole evening was the perfect way to celebrate our little Nell Belle.  At dinner we all listed five things we love about her, and it felt like we'd just barely got the ball rolling by the time we reached 15. I think we could have made it 30 with ease. There is so much to love about that sweet girl! We are glad she's ours. 

Reid's Party
Reid was given the option of inviting seven friends to the YMCA for some rock climbing or inviting just one friend over for a sleepover on the night of the Church Trunk of Treat. I don't know if it was the sleepover part or the friend at the trunk or treat part -- but he made his decision real quick and there was no going back. 

We're pretty grateful his best little buddy (and Ben's mom) were both so willing.  These boys had a blast staying up late and sharing their deepest darkest secrets (things like "I have to suck my fingers and cuddle my puppy when I fall asleep). We're so grateful Reid and Ben hit it off so well way back in 4K. They've stayed good little friends all these years later.


Reid's Big Day
I'd suggested that either Ben or I should go to school and have lunch with Reid on his birthday, and Ben jumped right on that opportunity. I think we will have to make it a tradition. Instead of joining the little people in the ranks of the cafeteria, Ben took Reid out for the full lunch hour and headed over to McDonald's with him. When he told Reid the plan that morning Reid said "It'll be your birthday gift to me!"

His dinner request was Quinoa bites (of course). He also asked for an ice berg cake. I'm pretty convinced he just thinks about what cool things he wants to put on the cake and goes from there. Something like this, "I want to decorate my cake with polar bears, so I want an iceberg cake!" The request was specifically for a chocolate cake with white frosting so it would look like an iceberg. But when I went looking for animals I could not find any cute seals or narwhals to have swimming around the ice chunk the polar bears would be floating on. So, in the end it turned into more of an arctic mountain cake. He was pleased as could be though. There is an entire polar bear family on that thing, and can you spot one more animal?


Those arctic foxes truly are great at camouflaging!

His present pile was non-existent, and he didn't care one bit. When he told me he wanted the Garmadon Mech for his birthday I burst his bubble by telling him it was out of our price range. This didn't deter him though. He counted up the little bit of money he had, asked me what our budget was, and added in the money Grandma and Grandpa Bassett send him each year and figured he'd have just enough! I was pretty proud of him for saving up so well. I also decided to surprise him by buying it before hand. Once he opened up all his cards and gathered up his piggie bank, we started getting ready to head to Target. I told him I just had to bring up one pile of laundry, and when I came back upstairs he saw that giant box of 774 Legos on top of my laundry pile. I'm a little disappointed to say it, but he wasn't even surprised. Appreciative yes, but not surprised. Ben later told me that at lunch Reid talked about that Lego set as if it were a done deal. I suppose he knew he'd finally have enough money.

After surrendering his $60 dollars, he got right to work. He woke up early the next morning and hinted at wanting to stay home and keep building. We compromised by offering to drop him off at school. Skipping the bus would give him an extra 35 minutes to build. When he came home from school he got right to work building. Dougie had actually come home with them again that day, but Reid wasn't even interested in playing. He just really wanted to finish that Mech. A boy on a mission!

He was one proud boy to finish that whole thing in one day.


1 comment:

Claudia said...

Wow, you were busy with birthdaying! Loved the seats at your theater!! No wonder it cost more than D town, but what a way to watch! Nel looked absolutely adorable in her outfit! Loved the cakes and why am I not surprised you could not find the cottage cheese in your fridge??? Too funny! Wish we could have been there. Love those kiddos!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...