Monday, December 25, 2017

The Best Day Ever

As I began recapping our day to my mom, I found myself sincerely -- without much thought or emotion -- saying "it was the best day ever." I kind of caught the line before it fully escaped my tongue. The magnitude of it all hit me full force (while I was cleaning up kitchen leftovers), no really, today was the best day of my life. 

When my mom asked what made it so great I had a short list of reasons.

It was so nice to have Ben home all day without any commitments or tasks to complete. He and Reid were buddying it up all morning and afternoon. They snuck away to the basement to build legos and race cars. They snuggled on the couch while they played Minecraft. The two of them were practically glued together all day, and I'm not sure which one that benefited more.

Nell was just cracking us up all day long. She is such a goofy girl, and she'll do just about anything to stretch a laugh. Lately she's been really into spelling words, as opposed to speaking them. I'm often referred to as m-o-m, not mom. She spells all our names, yes and no!, and poop. I'm not sure why, but she loves finding reasons to spell that last one.

Ben decided to heckle her a little by spelling most of the simple sentences he spoke to her today. She started to play along by shouting whatever letters she thought might spell the thoughts in her head. So then the game got real fun. I called her over to me and started telling her to spell things like "Y-o-u a-r-e j-e-r-k" After shouting out all the letters she'd turn to me and asked, "what's that spell?"

Then Ben wanted in on the fun and he had her shout "Y-o-u a-r-e b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l" at me. When she asked me what it spelled I got real serious and told her to go to bed. "I am really upset with you Nell, this is not funny. Go to bed right now." She just about lost her poor mind. I should feel bad that the rest of us laughed our guts out while she sobbed in fear. But it really was so funny. Once we convinced her it was a joke and she wasn't really in trouble she wanted to play again. I gave her one last phrase to shout at daddy. "I a-m a t-u-r-d." When I told her what she said, she excitedly shouted, "that's the same as a p-o-o-p!" Oh my gosh, I thought I'd die from laughter.

I seriously had the most genuine belly laughs I've had in years. As I was falling off the couch, ready to roll on the floor in laughter, I thought "this is it, this is a slice of how wonderful it is going to be to have these sweet kids in my home for the remainder of their growing years."

It was already an hour past their bedtime, but I still didn't want to send them on their way. I loved that moment we had all together, laughing and loving one another.

My house was (still is) a mess all day. There's more toys (and toys drive me crazy) than ever before. The two youngest kiddos are oozing snot out their noses and eyes. And today's high was only 5 degrees.

But it was the best day ever. It truly was.

What a wonderful gift that is. Merry Christmas! I recognize the beauty of it all is definitely made possible because of Jesus Christ. Even on the celebration of His birth -- He is the one that keeps giving.
 






1 comment:

Claudia said...

H-a-p-p-y f-o-r y-o-u-r b-e-s-t d-a-y e-v-e-r s-w-e-e-t-i-e!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...