Thursday, October 11, 2018

Little Sous Chef

Reid has loved cooking along side me for as long as he's been able to steady himself on a stool.

(photo)

A couple Sundays ago I asked if the kids wanted muffins and scrambled eggs or pancakes and scrambled eggs. They chose muffins and Reid quickly volunteered to scramble the egss. He started before I was in the kitchen along side him, and when I showed up to check things out there was a distinct smell in the air.

I looked under the pan and saw that a manual had caught fire. The moment was calm enough that I was able to just pull it out and show it to Reid. He appeared both surprised and a little bit anxious about how I'd react. I asked him what he thought he should do next, and he confidently tried to blow it out. When that just fanned the flame and sent ashes up in the air, his confidence quickly left him.

"What else could you try?" I patiently asked.

He thought for a split second and then shouted "Water!"

"So do it," I said as I handed him the flaming papers.

After he put out one side I showed him that he'd need to flip it over and extinguish the other side as well. At this point, we both laughed a little at the whole adventure. I asked him what he had learned, and I think it is safe to say he'll check the burner for nearby objects before turning the oven on again in the near future.


Today he came home from school with a Kids Halloween Cookbook. He was eager to pick out a couple recipes, and so we loaded all his sisters up in the car and headed to Aldi for a couple missing ingredients.

At dinner time he helped brown the meat for our pasta and then he got to work making one of the recipes from his book. It's so nice to have an ambitious helper in the kitchen. I love the process he's going through as he makes mistakes and learns from them. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...