Thursday, February 27, 2020

February 2019

What's it take to adequately blog about an entire month a whole year later? Well, I went through my phone and deleted all the pictures I didn't really care about anymore. I then went and created a google photo album of all the ones (there are 35, be prepared) that still tell a little story. Next, I'm pulling up my google calendar to try and figure out what happened on those particular days, and of course I have my planner next to me as well. 

The reward for all this is that after I share these sweet captured moments on this blog I can move forward. I will recycle the planner sheets, I'll delete more old photos (saving only the very few best for photo books), and I'll start the whole process over with the next month (maybe I can even bat out two or three at a time). 

I'm not sure why I can't just "let it go" and move on without documenting these old memories. But I can't. The truth is, 2 year old Mara no longer exists in a real sense, and detailing these moments a whole year late is the best memory I'll probably ever have of her. Oh that sweet, sweet little toddler Mara. 




This photo was taken at her friend Eleanor's house. With both Reid and Nell in full day school we found ourselves out and about exploring a lot more. It was a sweet moment in time to have both my little's home with me for a full day. 


This is a photo of our attempt to contain four children while Ben and I attended the two big kids' parent teacher conferences. My kids have always had quality teachers (I could go on for hours about how wonderful the preschool teacher is). However, there was a great bit of luck in the 2018-19 school year. Reid had a phenomenal teacher! Like seriously, I could nominate her for national teacher of the year. Absolutely amazing, and I think she's a big reason he finally started to read with some accuracy. Nell also had a wonderful teacher that was just the most perfect fit for her. I'm not sure how we'll do Kinder and 2nd again next year if we don't have those two absolutely perfect teachers for Nell and Coraline, but I suppose we'll get by. 


I captured a lot of photos like the above over the Wisconsin winter. They may be zombies watching TV, but at least they are snuggling, loving zombies. In my planner I can see the notes for our weekly goals, and Reid quite often said "no electronics" which is so admirable. Luckily, that wasn't his goal for this particular week, ha!


That same week Nell celebrated her 100th day of school. They were suppose to take a collection of 100 somethings, which I found to be quite a pain in the butt until I realized we could to 100 perler beads! She was so excited about this idea and she even gave it to her teacher to use as a decorations for years to come (it may have just ended up in the garbage, but either way I thought it was pretty cool). 


She also celebrated by dressing up like a frumpy 100 year old. 

That Saturday I played in a Stake Volleyball tournament. Our ward was combined with West Bend and we actually were the team to beat! That's what happens when two wards only have a couple people each show up ... it's the couple of people who really want to play! Anyway, I'm sure the below photo is what I came home to after all my games. 


One note about this week's goals that cracks me up: Coraline -- No electronics and wipe my own butt! What would life be like without these sweet little memories? 

We must have had a snow day the next Tuesday, because the kids were clearly home and playing in the snow with our sweet neighbor friends. Also, Ben taught Reid how to use the snow blower ... because after 8 years in Wisconsin we finally purchased a (used) snow blower. 







This little snow cave Reid made sure was a hit with all the kids. Man, I remember thinking snow days were so much more bearable than those dang January polar vortex days! Humans need fresh air. 


While I don't have any pictures of it, Reid participated in his first season of Basketball last winter. It was an okay experience. He had some good friends on his team, which always makes it more fun.


Coraline as able to participate in a Valentine's party at her little tot time class. She was so excited to do something so fun and so big kid like. She was sure to dress up extra fancy for the occasion. 


Reid won the guess jar full of M&M's at his class party. He was super excited about that, and I'm not sure he shared a single candy. That boy hides stuff in his room and makes sweets last for months. Silly kid. He also dabbles in interpretive snow art. 



He and Nell must have had a sleepover this particular Saturday night. This also must have been taken before the flood that destroyed his room. Little did they know they'd be sharing a room for about five months after this sleepover! Poor boy got stuck on a blow up mattress on Nell's floor. 



These sweet pictures were taken at the Brady's house when they invited us over for Spaghetti dinner one Sunday afternoon. Oh man I do not have enough pictures of those dear friends. The Brady's lived here for almost two years and as Nell said it "they are perfect for our family. They have a kid to match each of ours. Except for Wyatt and Mara. But that's okay." They really were the greatest friends we've had in all our years living here. Now they are off to Hong Kong on their next adventure. 


This is the week that I stopped being so diligent in my planner. There are no dinner plans written out, no weekly goals, just a note to put out my yard signs (for the school board campaign) and book our airbnb (for air venture week). I'm not sure that I accomplished either, but I did get a picture of that perfect little hand print! 


And these sweet little coloring princesses.



We had one last run down the neighborhood sled hill. Someone made a jump and I have a video of Reid going off it that I will just cherish forever. I do not have a video of the wipe out run he made right before the video (which explains the scared voice he uses as he approaches the jump). So, video of Reid of sledding, photo of the two little girls playing on the playground, and Nell ... Nell stayed in the car and played on my phone or the tablet the whole time. Isn't it strange that I remember that little detail a full year later? 


The kids' school had a fundraiser at the Herd. The Brady's located here because Jordan was the head coach of the new G-League team. Nell was stoked to have her two bffs together in one place during that game. Elsie Brady and Addy Wallace. A year later I really cherish this photo. Quality childhood friendships are so special, and so easily forgotten after disruptions like a move. 



Reid also got to spend some time with his best friend Ben.

The next week I have some notes again. On Monday I wrote down that we were going to go to the library, and though I had to haul them out of a box to get there, some below photos prove we did eventually make it!  



We discovered this cool new kid's place. 


Isn't it so inviting? 


Back at home it looks like Mara passed out on the couch and Coraline did her best to have fun quietly enough not to wake her up. 




This is a photo I took of them that evening. I'm not sure why Coraline didn't make it to her bed. Was she too tired to walk up the ladder? Did they pass out waiting for me to come read to them? Was she comforting Mara? I really don't know, but it's still sweet to me all these months later. 


And finally, this sweet shot of a happy little Reid. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...