Sunday, February 1, 2009

To be a kid again









This weekend was the Pinewood Derby. For those of you who don't know much about scouts, this is the BIG event of the year. The boys love it. And in some cases their fathers love it even more. We showed up and went straight to our table to set up my computer and LCD projector. We hadn't been there more than two minutes when Bingham (my personal favorite scout) comes walking over to us and says "My Dad won't let me touch my car again." It was said with such despair I had to hold back my laughter. Last year neither of the Moloney boys were able to touch their cars, but I thought this year would be different, so I replied by asking "Does Aiden get to touch his?" Bingham informed me that, yes his older brother was allowed to touch his car. I wasn't surprised, there is only one year between them but Aiden seems a lot more responsible.

Our ward is HUGE but even so there are very few youth in our ward, so all three of the wards that meet in our building make up one cub scout pack, despite combining the wards, the boys from our ward are my favorites.

This is Bryce . . .He is the sweetest boy in our whole group. I seriously could handle a dozen kids of my own if they were all like this guy. His parents are saints though so it isn't surprising.

I'll put this picture up for my dad, I'm sure he is curious. Even though I guess he's probably seen him in the papers, anyway . . .The guy with the sunglasses on his head is our Bishop. His kids are pretty delightful too. The scout with his back to the camera is Bingham, and the Bishop and his wife are talking to his dad. Seriously, our ward has such great examples of good parenting. It shows by how great their boys are. I love that we get to work in scouts and get to know these families.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

who is it exactly that we are supposed to be seeing in the last picture?

Claudia said...

Glad you had so much fun. Scout Derbys were not my cup of tea, but like you said they certainly are most dad's cups of tea! Of course Father-Son Outings were even less so! I feel bad for my poor boys. I wasn't the best dad on the block, that's for sure. My sons definitely turned out in spite of, not because of their old man! Good thing they had a great Mom!
Love, Pa
P.S. Your bishop looks very nice, in spite of the fact he worked for the past administration!

Liz Szilagyi said...

Mel, it's my Bishop, in the blue sweater vest. Read my dad's PS and you'll get why I put it up.

Claudia said...

Loved your picture of you in your scoutunifor. What a cute girl you are Miss Lizzy! Working with little boys is a delightful calling. They are so easy to please, fun, and refreshing. Yup, that was one of my favorite callings. Understand why you like it. And, those derbys were hilarious because the fathers were so competitive. They really do need to hold one for the dads! Bye cutie pie

The Briggs Clan said...

Your better than me! Nick and I were in scouts...uck! I hated it! They always say that once you get put in scouts you never get out, I say I would rather die. :) Hey Liz thanks for being such a great pal! I love you! I would give anything to lay in your lap and let you play with my hair! That is one of my favorite things ever! I am feeling a little better so... Thanks for your love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...