Friday, November 6, 2009

I wish his name was Smith

My first response was to be mad at the military.
Mad at Obama.
Why are we continuing with this silly war?
when we can't even control our men right on our soil
I ranted and raved all through our apartment lobby
where I'm sure several military volunteers heard me spew my bitter
feelings
for war and all the resources it gobbles up.

Then I came home and investigated the story via BBC
and one of my first thoughts was
I wish his name was different.
Jon
Rick
Henry
Williams
Johnson
Miller
Anything
That wasn't Malik or Nidal or Hasan

I've been reading Shattering the Stereotypes: Muslim Women Speak Out
and I'm taken back by their absolute and painful truths
Their powerful words
and
I'm reminded of the beauty of a religion I fell in love with while trying to extend my Own to the world.

I too wish his name was Smith.

2 comments:

Claudia said...

Ditto! You hit the nail on the head. It is tragic because too many Americans will blame it on his culture, his religion, his ethnicity. He was American, by the way...

Claudia said...

Beautiful poetry sis. Well, said.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...