Sunday, September 11, 2011

Post 9/11

I don't know exactly where I was when I first heard the news.  I honestly don't.  I do remember meeting my NYC roommate near the shuttle stop, and she was frantic.  I didn't understand what she was saying, not because I couldn't understand her, but because I had no idea what the Pentagon was or where the Twin Towers were.  I should probably be embarrassed by that, but I'm not.  I lived a dreamy-sheltered life, and I'm grateful to my parents for that.

When I reflect on 9/11, I don't typically think about where I was that day or how the news coverage affected me. Instead, I think about how we reacted, and how that reaction has shaped the world I belong in.

The Washington Post asked religious leaders around the world to share their thoughts on religion and the post 9/11 world.  I most enjoyed Desmond Tutu's:  Our post-9/11 failures. His words are spoken so well.  He represents the thoughts of an educated, Christlike, non-American.  He shows us how the world views and interprets our actions. Our post-9/11 failures.   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...