Sunday, September 25, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Easy Winter Squash and Apple Bake (8 mos+)

Sorry to disappoint my readers who have an actual palate, but today I'm just going to share my go-to baby food recipe. I'm so glad I found the site wholesomebabyfood.com. Otherwise I would have spent a fortune on processed baby food gunk.  I still always have a couple store bought jars on hand (especially applesauces) but I really find it so much more time and cost efficient to make my own food.    

You'll need:
1 winter squash (acorn or butternut)
2 baker's apples (a little tart), cored, peeled and diced
Generous handful of raisins
Sprinkle of cinnamon (or nutmeg)
Tinfoil
Ice cube tray

1.  Preheat oven to 400.

2.  Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Spoon out the seeds.  Place skin side down in baking dish.

2.  Fill the center holes with diced apple bits.  Sprinkle cinnamon over apples.

3.  Pour about two inches of water into the pan, so the squash is sitting in a bath of water (may also pour a little water in the holes so apples have moisture, but this is not necessary).  Cover the dish with tinfoil and bake about 45 minutes (until skin is bubbling and flesh is easy to pull off from skin).

4.  While the squash and apples are baking, soak a large handful of raisins in water (to soften).

5.  Add raisins and squash bake to stand up blender and puree until desired consistency (may have to add reserved water, but I have never done so).

6.  Spoon puree into ice cube tray compartments or other small containers.  Freeze.

7.  Once frozen you can place cube size servings (one ounce each) in a ziploc bag and keep up to 1 month.

This dish works great on its own for little babies or as a spaghetti/rice sauce for older babies. I've made it at least a half dozen times for Reid and he never tires of it.  I love that I know there is some flavor in there (the squash smells so good coming out of the oven).  Even more, I love that I know what is going into his belly, and its all healthy!

Check out wholesomebabyfood.com for more great ideas (if you have a baby at home, anyway).

1 comment:

Troy and Lisa said...

Love that website! Mine is tired with being fed pureed foods by now, but I still give her some cuz she eats more than when she does it herself. We never tried this one and I've got a counter full of squash so I just might have to.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...