Friday, October 7, 2011

The need for facts

I have a problem with fact checking. My problem is, when someone states something that sounds a little fishy, my brain can't move on until I know the actual facts. This curiosity of mine can't be cured.  For YEARS I have avoided any involvement in the pro-life/pro-choice debate.  Mainly, because I don't think the two are antonymous with one another.

Before we move on, let the record show I am against abortion. I don't want what I am about to say to confuse anyone on that matter. Against abortion. In fact, let me just get all official on my stance (copy and paste from LDS.org), the only possible exceptions I believe in are:

  • Pregnancy results from rape or incest, or
  • A competent physician determines that the life or health of the mother is in serious jeopardy, or
  • A competent physician determines that the fetus has severe defects that will not allow the baby to survive beyond birth.

Okay, that ought to do. Back to my fact checking obsession--

Usually, I'm able to avoid the topic of abortion because people make claims based on opinion. Sadly, the other day a friend of mine made a ridiculous pro-life statement sound like a fact. I tried tirelessly all day to get the statement out of my head, but alas it curled up in bed with. This morning I had to check the facts.

Here they are, in no specific order:
* There is NO correlation between adoption rates and abortion rates.  None.
* Abortion peaked in 1981 and has been on the steady decline since the 1990s.
* Abortion rates are only 3% higher today, than they were when data was first collected (in 1973, as a result of roe v wade).
* There is no way of knowing if abortion rates in the US are higher now that abortions are legal.
* Women are more likely to place their children for adoption if they have higher levels of education, or have higher education goals.
* Adoption rates among minority women have actually increased by 5% since the early 70s (as did their quality of education).
* Adoption rates have dropped by more than 8% among white women (has their quality of education also dropped?).

I really have no point to make in sharing these facts.

My stance on abortion remains the same.  And always will, cause God does not change.

I'd love it if adoption were a more viable option for the thousands of American families who are ready and willing to love any child placed in their home. I've been awed by the beauty of adoption for as long as I can remember. As a kid, I dreamed of a multi-racial adopted family. I honestly did. It was a much prettier picture than sex, pregnancy, labor, and delivery.

But I digress. Actually, if I'm not really sure what my purpose in sharing these "abortion" facts are, is it possible to digress?  Hmmmm

I guess the last thing I want to say, is I hope these facts have helped other curious minds like my own. I love people who are passionate and educated about controversial topics.

Nope, this is the last thing I want to say: If we really want to fight the ills of abortion, we have to educate and empower women. I'm not talking about sex education or the power of your pregnancy options. I mean we've got to beef up basic public education.  Math, reading, and writing skills have to be fine tuned. Science has to be more deeply explored by female brains. The future has to look brighter, and the goals of our young girls have to be set higher. That, is a fact.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...