Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Oreo Truffles

 Hi, I'm Liz.  I love Oreos.

That's a fair introduction. If you truly are what you eat, I'd definitely be something you can pour a little milk over and spoon up with pure joy.

In recent months, I've learned Oreo's are pure bliss stuffed inside other goodness.  I've made Oreo stuffed brownies (at least a dozen times) and Oreo surprise cupcakes (Reid's birthday treat for Ben's office). The last one had Ben asking me to make this treat again; Oreo Truffles.

I first made these back in DC, but I didn't remember loving them.  The guests at the party we took them to all seemed smitten, and my husband sure was.  But I, the Oreo lover, wasn't in love.

Maybe distance makes the heart grow fonder, but the batch I made up yesterday is definitely Recipe of the Week worthy. They are so easy to make! Ready for the ingredients?

*Update: As suggested by Ben's boss, we crushed up some candy canes around Christmas and put about 6 to 8 candy canes in with the oreo dust before adding it to the cream cheese.  We reserved about 2 crushed candy canes and sprinkled the chocolate right after dipping.  You have to sprinkle before the chocolate dries, so I usually enlist Ben's help. Kids would love to help with that too, I'm sure.  The candy cane adds the perfect holiday minty flavor you'd want.  

Here they are:
1 package oreos (I've found single stuffed work best to create a finer crushed oreo dust)
1 package cream cheese, softened (I use low fat)
1 package milk chocolate, chocolate chips (or almond bark, anything you can melt and dip with)

Yup, that's all you need.

1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
2. Pulverize the Oreos in a food processor (or blender, or a ziploc bag, or whatever you've got that will crush Oreos).
3. Add the softened cream cheese to the oreo dust.  The food processor will mix them up evenly.
4.  By hand, roll the mixture into 1-inch balls and place on prepared sheet.  Makes approx. 24 balls.
5. Freeze balls for at least 30 minutes (no more than 3 hours).  This allows them to set up, in preparation for chocolate dipping
-----
6.  When ready to dip, melt the package of chocolate chips SLOWLY.  I use the microwave for this.  I melt in 3, 20 second increments, stirring between each 20 seconds. (If there is one thing my mother taught me about holiday chocolate making, it's that chocolate that melts too fast turns spotty, and is unfit to giveaway to neighbors -- what a shame, :) Dear Mother, please note: my balls are not speckled, the little spots you see in the photo are purely condensation from coming fresh out of the fridge).
7.  Once chocolate is ready, go ahead and dip each ball in. You have to accept the fact that your fingers will turn into a chocolatey mess, all the better for your little ones to lick (it's no wonder we all swarmed around my mother during the chocolate making time of year).  Make sure you cover each ball completely, but also try and allow excess chocolate to drip back into the dish before placing the balls on the sheet.  If you've ever made homemade chocolates (I'd hope you'd all be so lucky to have a mother as dear as mine), you know the technique. If you use too much chocolate, it will goop (sp?) on the bottom of your treats and then you won't have enough melted chips for each ball.


These are best enjoyed straight out of the fridge, with a glass of cold milk.  But you should allow the chocolate adequate time to set up naturally before putting them in to chill.


ENJOY!!!
PS.  Since it is nearing the holidays, I'm thinking you could add some green/white/red sprinkles before the chocolate sets up, just to be festive.

1 comment:

Claudia said...

We will have to try this when you come home along with some other chocolates. I am always in a hurry and melt the chocolate too fast. Then as you say it has spots and does not set up hard. We will have to do some chocolate dipping when you come. I speak for penuche and cherry chocolates.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...