Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Connecting to my Heritage

Tonight our LDS Mutual activity is a heritage night. Like many Wisconsinites, I'm a mix of Western European and Scandinavian cultures. Technically I am a bit more Danish than any of the rest, but still I'm hardly even a quarter Danish.

Naturally, I wanted to make a Danish puff or other yummy pastry, but I decided to venture out with a dish I've never even heard of.

So right now on top of my stove, there is a boiling pot of pickled red cabbage. I didn't occur to me until just now that I don't like pickles, so I won't like this dish. Duh. Oh well. From what I gathered it is a very common side dish (even named a Christmas dinner must for most Danes), and it is usually served with a roasted duck, turkey, or goose.

Maybe, just maybe, it would taste alright with a bite of meat on the end of the fork. But most likely, it would not.

Hopefully tonight at Mutual there are some teenagers who love pickles. Otherwise my first attempt at Danish cooking will end up in the garbage.

Next time I'll go with a Puff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A puff any day over boiled cabbage. What is wrong with you girl?
Pa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...