Saturday, January 25, 2014

So, what did I do on my day off?

Well, I slept until 7:00 a.m. What a fabulous sleep in, right? Even if I didn't get more hours than usual, I do think I slept much better. I just don't seem to let myself sleep too deeply when my kids are in the next room. Even if I try, I just can't. I think this is just part of motherhood. We listen for the preschooler getting up to use the potty; we listen for the toddler whimpering over new teeth. Even if we are asleep, we hear it all.

After breakfast (some trail mix) I headed to the gym for my second horrible swim of the week. I lost my nose plugs (yes, I wear nose plugs) last week and the replacement ones I bought are horrible. Horrible. I have since ordered top of the line plugs. Plugs built for whitewater rafters. Yup, I'll look ridiculous, but I don't care. I need to swim!

I was able to have lunch and do a little (second hand) shopping with some mom friends I haven't seen in several months. I will never adequately describe how wonderful it felt to dine out at a fancy Italian restaurant with mothers and no kids. Yes, we talked about potty training and other mom nightmares, but we were childless -- for hours. Totally fabulous.

I made a quick stop in at the Church activity I didn't have to be at. This is one of my weaknesses. I'm a fine delegator, but I am a fly on the wall! I know a lot of LDS Young Women leaders go above and beyond planning fancy New Beginnings and Young Women in Excellence Nights. I don't. I delegate. "Hey Laurels, who wants to complete a ten hour personal progress project by planning and executing the YW in Excellence Night? Oh, you three do? Perfect, make invites, create a program, go buy decorations, plan the menu, and let me know what you come up with. See you then!" I really have no problem letting go of big things and letting others take charge (tomorrow our Sunday lesson will be taught by a 16-year-old), but I hate to not be there, at every activity. Seeing who all showed up, trying to read how they are enjoying the event, knowing exactly what was happening at the activity. I am such a fly on the wall. Or as Ben calls it, a busy body.

I spent the rest of my afternoon shopping for necessities that are just so much easier to get without the kids in tow. Diapers, trash bags, new jammies, groceries, etc. I actually only ended up with a couple hours at home. I cleaned up a bit and wasted time watching a movie.

Overall the day off was a huge success. I'm sure there was a time in my life when this ^^ kind of day would have been boring and ordinary, but once you enter into the world of motherhood this kind of lame day is just the kind of recharge you need. It is almost like finding yourself again. Not that I'm lost due to motherhood, but it's nice spend some time with no one but yourself, to have 24 hours where you are accountable to no one but yourself. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...