Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The five minute rule

About a week ago during one of our nightly bed time routines I decided to set the timer for five minutes and make us all clean up. We've done it every night since.

Cleaning up around bedtime isn't new, nor is having Reid help us clean up, but I am so in love with this new five minute rule. The house has felt a lot less cluttered and cleaning the kitchen has felt a lot less daunting. I don't really know how to explain the difference, but I hope it lasts.

Ben or I have to clean up right next to Reid, as he needs lots of directions. But he is always willing to complete whatever task is asked of him, and usually he'll return for a new command, sometimes he gets distracted and dallies -- but he's always quickly redirected. Whoever isn't cleaning up alongside Reid usually does more intense cleaning in the bathroom or kitchen. One night I scrubbed all the bathroom surfaces and had it sparkling before our five minute timer ran out. It felt awesome.

As for Nell, Nell usually just continues to make messes in the play room while we all run around cleaning. But that's fine by me. The playroom has no "perfectly clean" mode so whatever damage she does in there can quickly be repaired.

And ... since I never want to forget the sound of her laugh ...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love that cute giggle. 40 degrees! Enjoy the snow while it lasts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...