Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Nine Christ Centered Christmas Stories for Preschoolers

It was always my intention to review the books from our Christmas advent, and I haven't forgotten. So though you may be over the Christmas season, here are our ten Christmas countdown books that centered on the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. I've listed them in order from least to most favorite, with a quick little review of each book. If you are interested in reviews of our other books, check back tomorrow and Thursday.

God Gave us Christmas

I didn't love this book, though both my kids seemed to enjoy it and it gave us a great opportunity to talk about all the wonderful things our Father in Heaven has given us. It is a cute story, but I won't put it on my list next year unless I'm having a hard time finding enough books.

Who is Coming to Our House

This is a popular story told from the stable animals perspective. The writing is great for young children and it is definitely worth a look, but not a favorite for me. The art work is nothing spectacular. It'd probably be best to get it in board book edition.

Room for a Little One

I like the idea behind this story, but my kids never really noticed the theme of predator animals befriending their foes in the sake of Christmas Spirit. It earns a higher ranking than the previous, and similar, Who is Coming to Our House because I feel like the artwork is superior.

Santa's Favorite Story

I love the artwork in this little story. I also love the idea of Santa telling the story of Christ's birth. But for some reason I didn't love this book as much as I'd anticipated. I'd definitely check it out again, but it isn't on my must read again list.

Usborne Nativity Flap Book

I bought this board book on a whim and am glad I did. My kids (especially Reid, the preschooler) love lift the flap books. The artwork and writing were both well done. I'm glad we have it in our in own Christmas book library.

The Donkey's Christmas Song

I love, love this story. I wish the artwork was as amazing as the tale. It's a classic little kid story, where you practice the sounds of each animal in the stable the night Christ was born. It also teaches the importance of accepting oneself and loving our Savior. All around win with this one.

Mortimer's Christmas Manger

I found this in great condition at our local Goodwill. Once I got it home and read it I was kind of disappointed. However, after reading it with the kids I've decided it deserves more credit than I initially wanted to give it. The preschooler had a bunch of great questions about Jesus, and he was genuinely into Mortimer's little adventure and asked to read the story several times during the middle of the day.

Christmas in the Manger

This is the perfect little board book for young children and I was really hoping my toddler would love it. The artwork is fantastic and the storytelling very simple. Neither of my kids were overly captivated by it, but as long as we have someone under the age of three in this house, it will stay on our library check out list.

Christmas is Here

I just grabbed this one off the library shelf one day before story hour and I am very glad I did. It is on our must buy list. The pictures are wonderful and the words are direct from the King James version of the Bible. It is the perfect way to read the Bible nativity story with small children. Both Ben and I and the kids loved it. A must!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...