Friday, August 5, 2016

Sharing is Caring

I mentioned our bout with hand-foot-mouth in both of my last two posts, so I don't really mean to drag it all out here ... but ...

I'd heard parents talk about this sickness as if it was the worst ever. Thankfully, we seem to have gotten by with a couple really mild cases. To me (and my kids) the worst part is simply being stuck. Stuck at home all day everyday. This thing hangs on for almost two weeks and since they each caught it a couple days apart, we are just sitting around waiting for our sores to clear, dying to go somewhere (or as Reid would tell you, have friends come over here).

It's times like these that I'm really grateful my kids play so well together. Maybe they share germs a little too much, but at least they happily share one another's company when we are all cooped up like this.



These pictures are of Reid on day 5 of hand foot mouth and Nell on day 3. My heart was just bursting as they sat on Grandma's blow up bed, playing house together. They each had their own baby and they diligently changed their clothes, diaper, and bedding. They went through a whole day as a little family. I love watching them be "mom and dad." My heart swells.

Today we are on Reid's day 9 and Nell's 7. Nell is just starting to shed some of the scabs left over from her sores. In fact, I bet the one on her elbow still has puss. She was definitely hit the hardest. Reid got a few sores near his mouth and on his bum and an itchy rash on his feet. He whined about them one night as he tried to sleep and we finally had Ben give him a blessing and we didn't hear from him again for another 8 hours (before that it'd been every hour on the hour for about 5 hours). Nell has had sores just about everywhere. I look at her face and my heart just breaks. She has one on her chin, a few on her lower lip, and a huge one on her nose. They are all surrounded by a dozen more, but those three areas in particular just captivate my eye every time I look at her. I'm trying so hard to just will them away. Her bum sores were out of control and her feet rash itched terribly for about a day and half. She also had one really rough night but refused to have a "special prayer." Reid even told her how much his had helped him but she wasn't having it. Coraline (knock on wood) has only had about three sores. One on her chin, one on her tongue and one on the bottom of her foot (although, it could be an actual heel injury -- I'm really not sure).

To pass the time we have watched a lot of PBS kids. But we've also played outside quite a bit. Today all three of them were overcome with outrageous giggles while on the swings. I tried to get a video of it, but of course they didn't giggle as much once I was in front of them (instead of pushing them from behind). When I had the video out they mostly just screamed and acted silly. Eventually they made up a song about "twinkle feet" and they couldn't wait to sing it to daddy.



They are silly kids, and I'm so glad they are silly best friends.

1 comment:

Grandpa B said...

Love the "Twinkle Feet" song...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...