Thursday, September 14, 2017

Budding Friendship

Near the last half of summer (when Reid was suffering from his mouth sores), Nell and Coraline's friendship started to take off. It's been so fun to look through my old photos and see the whole process in action. 

But first, a funny comment from Nell. One day she was complaining that she didn't have anyone "That can talk like this," to play with. I looked at her -- puzzled, and so she elaborated. "Dougie and Reid both talk like me and I can understand them. I want someone who can talk like this." Writing it out loses all the humor. With Nell, tone and animation are everything (she is so animated!). It was a pretty funny complaint. But it also made perfect sense. I'd been wondering why these two hadn't become as close as Reid and Nell when Reid went off to full day Kindergarten last year. But in this moment where Nell complained about needing a friend who "could talk like this"; it all made so much sense. Nell is such a verbal child. She always has been. Lately Coraline has been speaking much clearer and communicating her ideas more efficiently, so now their friendship can bloom. And it's a beautiful thing to watch. 

Coraline admires Nell so much and it shows in the way they play. Coraline also terrorizes Nell so much, and that's a pretty hysterical thing to watch as well. It's amazing how much power such a little two-year-old can yield. It's also amazing to see her understand this power while also holding on to some fears about being the littlest of the three older kids. I don't know; I just find sibling behavior and relationship fascinating. 

But I digress. Let's see some of these cute pictures! 


Some selfies they took back in the beginning of August. So silly and then so serious. It was cute to stumble upon them cuddled up together on the couch. Who knew finding mom's unattended phone could feel so mischievous and be so fun?


These are some sidewalk drawings they did the day (or two) after the selfies. Nell's picture is of our family on a nature hike in the neighborhood nature preserve. I was so proud of all her hard work. Coraline's picture also had a story to go along with it, but I can't remember it at this point. Ooops. Also, it rained like 20 minutes after they finished. It was pretty funny and disappointing all at the same time. I knew the storm was coming, so that's why I snapped a photo real quick when they finished. They really did work so hard on that (and they didn't fight once the whole time)!



They were super playful together when we went to the bookworm gardens in Sheboygan with my parents (more on that later). I really just love watching them interact and be goofy together. 
 

Lately their favorite thing to play with Dougie is cars. So this lasst weekend I took all the kids to the grocery store so they could each buy a new $1 matchbox car. I was shocked when Coraline grabbed the dragon right away and didn't need to look any further. She's so cautious about "scary" things, but it was somehow love at first sight with that dragon car. 


And then there is this photo, taken this morning as Mara napped and Reid was away at school. Doesn't it just melt your heart? Nell was being such a little mommy and Coraline loved playing the part or doting daughter. I can't wait to see how this friendship continues to grow. 

1 comment:

Claudia said...

What a cute blog post! Such cute photos of these two adorable girls! Smiled at your comment: "I just find sibling behavior and relationship fascinating." Have you analyzed yours or is that still a work in progress?!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...