Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Reid is in First Grade!

Reid was roaring to go back to school. I was so excited he was placed in Mrs Sammons class. Granted, she is the only first grade teacher I've met -- but I know she is wonderful. We were a little disappointed his best buddy -- who has been in his 4K and K classes -- wasn't in his class. Our neighbor friend and one other boy he played with last year are both in there though, so he's surviving just fine.


On the last official summer night we invited our neighbors over for some simple fireworks. I'd let each kid pick some out at a 4th of July sale. But at that point in the summer it doesn't get dark until 9:30, so we saved them until we could light them off during a more reasonable hour. Reid's chosen fireworks were "Dinosaur Farts." No surprise. 

I bring up this story to let you know, that of all the dozens of First Day photos I took, the only one that got a genuine smile (above) was the one I snapped right after I told him to think about something silly, like dinosaur farts. 




The above photo just cracks me up. "Try to keep your eyes open while you smile." Mission accomplished, I guess.

So far he really likes school. When you ask him what his favorite subject is, he'll tell you it is art. Near the end of summer he started coming up with his own projects to complete each morning. I was really impressed with this ocean one.


That boy does love his art!

He also really loves his sisters. He is always willing to help with Mara when I need an extra hand. I love that he has such a tender heart.

He still isn't reading much. He is eager to take piano lessons. I just have to figure out how to work it into the budget. Currently, he is taking a dance class with Nell at the YMCA and he seems to love it. We'll probably go back to swim lessons soon. Once he turns 7 he can join the rec departments Tai Kwan Do, and he is ecstatic.

He still seems to play with his closest Kindergarten friends at recess. Reid has been so much better about being ready for the bus this year. I'd say this is ironic considering the bus comes half an hour earlier -- but I actually think that's why he's always ready to go. He doesn't have any extra minutes for play, so that keeps him focused. Our house is the second pick up in the morning and the second drop off in the afternoon. It's perfect.

This morning I asked him to go make us scrambled eggs for breakfast while I fed Mara, and he jumped right on it.  Eventually I did holler at Ben to go check on him, but I think he could have done the whole thing without any supervision. He was so proud of himself, and it was sweet to hear his sisters thank him for their yummy breakfast. Come dinner time he was begging to make the dumplings all by himself as well.

I love watching this helpful little boy grow and flourish. I know first grade will give him opportunities to stretch himself. And he's ready to bring it all on.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...