Thursday, September 10, 2020

Bike ride in the rain

*Let's call this a much needed flashback*

Ah, I remember this title. I'll always regret not writing down all the memories I wanted to cherish. Writing helps me remember and until I saw this title I had completely forgotten about our bike rid in the rain. This title was created 6/23/20. Sometimes I do that, write a title but never a post. Tonight I'm especially grateful for the opportunity to finish this story. This is a true tender mercy. One I desperately needed after such a rough day. 

This must have been shortly after Sheldon Nature center finally opened back up after all the COVID shut downs. The kids and I started biking to the nature center regularly. That first week it opened we went to both the zoo and Sheldon 3 times each in 5 days or something like that. We were obviously stir crazy! I remember the joy and disbelief they had when I told them we could go to the zoo. But this story is about the storm. 


I biked with Coraline and Mara in the bike trailer behind me. Reid was our lead, and Nell took up the middle. I knew a storm was coming that afternoon and told them we'd better get going if we really wanted to go to the Nature Center.  As usual, the kids took their time playing in the creek and giant tepee. We watched the clouds roll in but thought we'd have enough time for a quick stop at the pond. I wanted to take a picture of that sky so badly, but my phone died when I pulled up the camera. I asked the kids if they wanted to wait out what I figured would be a quick down pour in the pavilion shelter. Or, we could try to beat it home and maybe get rained on. I can't remember the final vote, but the majority wanted to get rained on. Or perhaps they just wanted to get home as soon as possible -- there motives were their own, but I let majority rule. 

The drizzle started when we hit the main road, but a 5 second burst of heavier rain wasn't far behind.  It was so hard and so heavy I could not look up. I kept my eye on Nell and Reid's wheels and told them to just look down and watch the white line. They were giggly and frightened, and thankfully a moderate trickle quickly took over.  I kept my spirits high as it reminded me of so many Kuching bike rides with Sister Weldon. Those storms were so hard to get through, but they always boosted my spirit. And I hoped my kids would have the same experience. 

Perhaps my favorite part was when we came near our street corner. The drizzle was picking up again but  we were able to ride safely. Then suddenly our sweet neighbor friend Livi popped out from her front yard bushes (that provide some shelter from rain) and cheered the kids on, kind of chasing them and flapping her arms. "Get home, get home. It's going to be crazy!" She was such a sweet surprise cheerleader for those few seconds as we passed her yard.

And boy was she right. As we raced down Tammy road the rain started to flood us. Reid sped off ahead, and I knew he was safe. I pulled up next to Nell and offered to be her safe voice, guiding her as she had little sight. Once we were all safe in the garage, all the kids burst into giggles and showered me with the biggest smiles. The love and excitement was palatable. And their clothes were dripping as if they'd been in a pool!


This summer has been such a gift. I am oh so very sad to see it come to a close. But hopefully I can capture at least a few of these special memories and help my children remember how loved they were. How peaceful and beautiful our home was. I pray so fiercely that they will always find joy during the storm, and safe shelter and love after it's over. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...