Sunday, September 13, 2020

Grateful for Terrell's Island

I remember one line from all the speeches at my High School graduation. Jeri Ann Finlinson, our class President, said: "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."  That advice can be hard to take in our deepest griefs, but I'm constantly running it through the back of my head lately. 

One place that will always make me smile is Terrell's Island. I hope I never forget this special little favorite hike of Ben's. I loved to carve out time each week (usually Sunday afternoon) for our family to get out in nature and go for a walk. He would have gone to Terrell's Island every single time! Okay, maybe no one always or nevers, but it was definitely his first request and I rarely turned him down util about kid #3. That four mile loop hike out on Lake Butte de Morts just wasn't made for kids that have to be carried the bulk of the time. 

We did it several times with Reid and Nell, and then even tried it once on our bikes pulling kids behind on the tag along and the trailer. It was at the end of that full loop that we both looked at each other and knew we'd never do the full loop again. At least not for like 10 more years, ha!

Well, a couple Sunday's ago I packed up my, Reid, and Nell's bikes and the three of us had a lovely adventure together.  Then today, Ben and I did the full loop together without any kids. We had a much needed heart to heart where we discussed our future and all the changes it will bring. We recommitted certain promises to put each other's needs first (as much as possible) and talked about the shared (and potentially different) goals we have for our sweet children. It's strange to say this is what marriage looks like. But it is. In so many ways, our marriage has never been stronger. 

I'm so grateful for and will always cherish that special hike around such a breathtakingly beautiful place. Sometimes, after you've become familiar with a view or an area, you don't see all the beauty in it. That wasn't the case today. We saw half a dozen toads, groups of sandhill cranes, a gorgeous pheasant, two snakes, a zillion woolly bear caterpillars, a good size snapping turtle and we (okay, it was Ben) even rescued a painted turtle trying to cross the road. 

I loved the beauty and wonders of the desert as a child. And it was always my dream to see the world. To see other places and to fall in love with other cultures. Ben has given me that opportunity. He has helped make so many of my dreams come true. Today we had to set some new dreams for our little family, and I pray they come true as well. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...