Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chickens

So what's the deal, did no one dare try my gangster talk challenge? Mom and Dad, you both got two right, but technically I told Mom both the ones she got right, so so far my Dad is ahead. I'll wait another week to give all you slackers a chance. But speaking of the school front. Two things:

GOD BLESS STEPHANIE MEYER. I don't think her books are great, but the fact that I had two students come to me today to borrow her books makes me want to jump up and down. I didn't even know one of the girls. She just walked up and said "Hey Szilagyi I'm Alexis Williams, do you have the fourth Twilight book?" I was so thrilled.

And second, 15-year-old Sue* who has a two-year-old son informed me today that she is 19 weeks pregnant. I was speechless. I wanted to shake her and ask her why she didn't learn anything from the first child. Protection children, use protection! I mean, I'm obviously all about abstinence but that isn't working for these kids so we need to let the public schools teach them about protection! One of my colleagues pointed out that she may even be HIV positive since she clearly doesn't use any protection, nor does she have any sort of prenatal health care. So sad, so sad. On a good note, she passed my final with a B, so hopefully she'll stick with it and get her diploma. I do love Sue, but she's just too young . . .

Okay, I promise my next post won't be about school.

*name changed, cause really who knows a black kid named Sue?

2 comments:

hannah said...

That must be so sad to see a 15 year old girl with a 2 year old and another on the way. I was such an idiot and so immature when I was 15, I couldn't imagine being a mother!

Claudia said...

I thought Utah was the only place in the dark ages as far as Human Sexuality goes! Surely they teach students in DC about contraceptives, please tell me! That is insane that they do not if they do not.
I get so irked in Utah because "it is the parent's responsibility to teach those things - not the schools..." Hello!! I couldn't agree more, but the parents are doing such a damn poor job of it that the schools better step in!
Oh well, enough said. We know what a radical liberal I am.
So glad you're going to the Inauguration! What history you will be living. I'm jealous.
Love, Pa
P.S. In Millard School District we still have to work on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. At least the kids don't have to come to school. I think that is a racial crime in and of itself. I hope before I die, Utah joins the twentieth century -- it would be far too much to hope for the twenty-first!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...