Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My strange polls.

Now that I have a new poll up I guess I better explain the last one. Nothing to it really. I just thought one day about how much I wish I could take my students to "the country" for a week and teach them what life in a small town is like. It might have been the day I asked them to write about the coolest thing they'd seen in nature and I got dozens of "This pigeon pooped on my friend." or better yet "These birds was eating a rat." (and yes, I know that grammatically incorrect . . . but that's how they would have answered the question). I know their maturity level merits such responses, but I also realized they have truly never enjoyed nature. One student, ONE wrote about the stars. And ONE wrote about the woods. That's it! And both of them noted these experiences occurred while on a trip out of town.

Well then, I read this wonder called Anna Karenina. Best book in the world by the way. But as I read people's reviews I noticed many an intelligent reader complained about Levin's farm chapters. And those were some of my favorites! I felt like people who couldn't appreciate that part of the novel probably were like my students -- and just didn't understand the experience or effect the country has on you.

So, as I get older, I'm starting to lean toward the idea that city people are actually more sheltered than us country folk. This goes against everything I was taught down on the farm. But all it takes is one trip to the city and you'll witness your first same sex make out scene. Or a crazy homeless man talking to Jesus. Or a drive by shooting. Or . . . and yes, these are all things I saw with my own little eyes when I was just 11-years-old and visiting Seattle, WA. That was my first trip to a BIG CITY. And I think I learned then everything I needed to know in order to survive Singapore and DC. But I think it's harder for someone who has lived their whole life in the city to truly understand what it is like to grow up in the country. Or to adjust to life in a small town. My Chicago raised friend is blown away by the fact that I didn't have cable or a near by mall growing up. I on the other hand, love that aspect of my childhood. Even if it kept me a little "sheltered."

I don't know, I'm just rambling. I definitely see the argument both ways. Which is why I'm surprised so few people opted for my cop out response. But overall you voters were pretty 50-50. I expected a different outcome, but that outcome makes me feel better about my own thoughts on the subject.

Anyway, take my new poll. I'm curious as to what you think of the matter.

2 comments:

Claudia said...

I see that only right wingers have responded to your health care poll so far. The rich don't give a tinker's fart about everyone (almost said 'damn' but I'm trying to clean up my vocabulary -- like that'll ever happen). Universal health care is ultimately the only way we can assure health care for all. I think Jesus would want universal health care, but then maybe he just cares about the conservative loving Glenn Beck types in the world! Go Fox News!!!
Love, Pa
P.S. Miss B took the district's severance package and has just six weeks left in her teaching career. She'd pretty bummed about it. Maybe you'd better give her an e-mail. XOXOXOXO

Liz Szilagyi said...

LOL. That stands for laughing out loud. When I read this to Ben he said "That's Scotty Potty" :)
And hey, I quite liked Glenn Beck's conversion story. But that's all I've ever listened to. Hell would have to be froze before I turn on Fox News. And yes, I knew my poll would be "conservative." I'm guessing you were the other "for." That's why I have to stay out of UT. One day at work and I was assured all my DC friends are for. And I'm not off my rocker for my stance either. That's why I love them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...