Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Kindness

One of my top parenting priorities is to raise kind children. I'm sure all who engage in intentional parenting would agree. Kindness is a treasured skill for people of all ages. Every now and then my kids surprise me by how kind and thoughtful they really are.

This last Sunday as we finished up our hike in the neighborhood nature center Reid ran up ahead of us and kind of hid in the ditch near our van. There were two walkers approaching and I watched as he tried to angle himself as to not be seen. He kind of startled the younger (I'm assuming she was the daughter) of the two. When the other walker, oblivious to the silly kid sneaking around like a ninja, took notice she stopped and said "Is that Reid? Hi Reid!"

It turns out it was his school librarian. I caught up to him at this point and introduced myself. I asked how to spell her name and explained that Reid had wanted to give her a teacher goodie at Christmas but I could not figure out who she was on the roster because the way Reid pronounces her name just wasn't pulling up any results (her response was that our last name is tricky like that too, touche!)

Anyway, the next morning we decided to make her a thank you note and little gift, as Monday was their last check out. He drew a sweet picture of her checking out books to his class. And when it was time to draft the Thank You note he needed no prompting. In fact, I couldn't keep up with him.

"Dear Mrs. L-----,

Thank you for helping my class check out the books we want to take home to our families. Thank you for being such a nice librarian for our school. Thank you for teaching us about non-fiction and fiction.

Love, Reid."

I made it sound a little less mushy (I'm particular about Dears and Loves) and let him sign his own name. Also, he asked how to spell the word that means facts and details. "You know, like when something is real facts." So I helped him remember the words non-fiction and fiction (he prefers the former it seems).

We put the card in the envelope and put the envelope in a little gift bag with a purse size L'BRI lotion. He was beaming with excitement to give it to her on the last check out.


Today, Nell saw me pulling out the lotion for a good long lather and she said "Momma, I'm sorry your hands and legs hurt and you have to use lotion." She had the gentlest little voice. And she is spot on, I soak up lotion because my dry skin causes me actual pain. I don't know what made her want to show sympathy today, but it was so sweet and so sincere. It's nice to know that even at such a young age she can stop and think about how someone else must be feeling.

I hope their little hearts always stay so tender, especially toward one another.

1 comment:

Pa said...

Cute stories. Cute kids.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...