Thursday, July 12, 2018

Build-A-Bear Workshop

Oh Kids, we had a fun day today. You woke up at your usual time (6 am). We ate a light breakfast (just cheerios), changed our clothes, packed up our bags and headed to the Fox River Mall. I think we managed to avoid this mall for four years straight. Somehow, we've been there five times in 2018.

We arrived at 7:30 and sat in line for the Build-A-Bear pay your age day. This is an outrageous sale that escalated quickly in some areas. Your dad read about riots in the UK. Police closed down stores in some US cities. But you, my sweet children, are lucky enough to grow up in an area that is consistently rated one of the best for young families. Our experience was wonderful.

There were three families in front of us, and one lone teenage boy that I couldn't quite figure out (I'm always trying to figure people out, by the way). Near opening time, which was 9 am, three mothers with young children showed up and took that teenage boy's spot. I get it. Why take your little kids in early when you can just pay your teen to go wait, but I'm glad you were there with me, to wait it out yourself and earn your own little bear that you love (you'll probably only love it for like a week, let's be honest).

Reid, you started asking for a Build-A-Bear about a year ago. Lately, I've been telling you all we'll go for Coraline's fourth birthday. It would still be more money than I'd like to spend, but at least if it's on someone's birthday (and close to Christmas) it will feel a little more justified. So when I found out about this deal, I knew we had to go.

I am not a Black Friday shopper. Sure, I love a good deal and rarely shop without coupons, but I do not think $85 in savings is worth more than two hours of my life. And you're in luck, because this whole experience took exactly 130 minutes of our life.

We had books, games, toys, and snacks packed in our bag. We made friends with the people in front of us and behind us. We avoided potty accidents, played together, and waited patiently for those store gates to sail open. Coraline, this photo of you stuffing your bear just might be my favorite one yet!



We were all in shock and awe as we left the store. The line was all the way down the end of the mall and wrapped around back to the food court -- and the rest of the mall wasn't even going to open for another 20 minutes. It was insanity. And I just kept thinking "Try not to look like you're gloating, while your four little kids proudly carry their bear boxes home." Man, it was hard to wipe the gratitude off my face.

There were a lot of frustrated parents and disappointed kids in that line, I am sure. We ran in to some neighborhood friends at the mall play area, and they weren't going to stick around for the line (I wouldn't have either). I'm sure it hurt for them to see you with your new stuffies. But here's the thing I want you to remember the most about this day: those kids, those sweet friends, were happy for you. Their wonderful mama messaged me to say how glad she was that you guys came home with bears. They went home empty handed, but still had a good day. They checked out some other stores, spent quality time together, and went home happy their friends bought bears even when they couldn't.

Another friend of mine saw us as we were leaving (since she was in a crowd of some 500 people, I did not see her). She messaged me to ask about our experience and give me updates about her wait. She and her son were in that line for four hours. Four hours! And you know what, they had fun doing it. They ended up getting a spot on a local news blurp about the whole event. How cool is that?

I want you to know that a lot of people chose to turn that chaotic moment into a teachable one. They taught their kids to be happy for their friends, even while they were disappointed. They taught their kids to lick their wounds with fresh ice cream and go home empty handed. Others taught their kids to just stick it out and enjoy the unexpected delays. 

Our day turned out super fun. You were all on cloud nine the rest of the morning and well into the evening. You were dancing with your bears, playing games with your dino, and snuggling your dog. Some days won't turn out this well. Sometimes you'll show up for a deal only to get burned, and I hope you decide to be happy for others in those moments. 


Nell, you probably stole my heart the most. You took Panda along for the car ride, but left her in your seat while we went into the mall. As we were pulling out the parking lot you said something about trying to make sure Panda wouldn't feel bad. Then you held up your new bear and said "Rainbow is the second cutest bear in the whole world." 
I smiled back at you and asked (knowing the answer), "whose the first?" 
"Panda!" 

Then tonight, after Reid's prayer (in which he mentioned his gratitude for our new bears and that our line wasn't so long and that the other people who waited long would be okay), you looked up with a bit of sadness in your eyes and said "I'm sad when I think about other kids who couldn't get bears today."
I made deep eye contact, but didn't directly respond.
As you pulled your bear close to your chest you continued "It makes me think that I don't really need this bear. I could give it to someone else." 

What a tender and thoughtful heart you have my sweet girl. The world is better for having you in it. 

Oh sweet kids, always make the world a better place by simply having you in it. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...