Sunday, March 24, 2013

Discussing Depression

Have you noticed I share everything with the Internet? My random-est thoughts. My most spiritual experiences. My bad habits?

Well, just when you thought I couldn't get any more personal, I went and did it.

I shared one of the most intimate things about myself, about my family, with anyone who stumbles upon it.

I've had this problem my entire life. I remember as a young girl, sitting through Church classes where you're told not to cast your pearls before swine, and I remember thinking I do that. I am comfortable sharing soul searching things about myself with others. What is wrong with me?

I think the simplest answer to that question is that I don't believe in swine. Sure, I know there are haters (trolls, as we call them in the Internet world) out there that would love to do nothing more than tear me down. But I rarely feel torn down by them. I pity them. How sad, to dedicate so much of your energy to speaking evil against strangers.

Still, I've often wondered why I can't just keep sacred things secret. But I've decided to accept this little quirk about myself. Perhaps my most intimate feelings are important for other people to hear. Perhaps I have something to share that can help someone else.

Most likely, I just talk to myself too darn much.

Either way, when I was asked to share the story of my hospitalization for depression, I never thought to say no. If even just one person wanted to know what it was like to battle depression and come out victorious, it was worth sharing with the entire Internet world.

So today, you can wander over to doeadeery and read my story. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Rachel from Doe a Deery said...

Thank you so much Liz! I love that you will share anything with anyone. I think it is a gift.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...